Saturday, 1 July 2017

SATURDAY NIGHT NEWS - Poetry New Year’s Resolutions Six-Month Update

I thought it might be fun to do a ‘half-way through the year’ update on my Poetry New Year’s Resolutions – because there’s nothing like reminding everyone that we’re already half-way through 2017 to the relentless march of infinity seem more inevitable, am I right?

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-whimey things, eh?

Of course, I jest. Although it *is* a bit bloody terrifying how fast this year is going!

Anyway, here’s how I’m getting on with my poetry-based New Year’s Resolutions for 2017:

Resolution the first: Read at least ten poetry collections or anthologies
I’ve actually managed to read three collections/pamphlets so far this year: “Division Street” by Helen Mort, “Physical” by Andrew McMillan, and “Black Country” by Liz Berry. I realise that these are three REALLY SAFE choices, in that they’re three poets whose collections are really well-regarded, but I absolutely loved all three of them. Next on my list is Ocean Vuong’s “Night Sky with Exit Wounds” and “The Princess Saves Herself in this One” by Amanda Lovelace. I can’t wait to read them both!

How could I not love it with a title like that?

Resolution B: Do at least ten more workshops
So far this year I've done three workshops, with twelve more booked in for the latter part of the year. The workshops I've already done have been really good fun, tackling topics as diverse as humour, folklore, myth, and memory, as well as one wonderful workshop with kids from refugee backgrounds with English as their second language. I really love devising and delivering poetry workshops - it's one of my favourite parts of this poetry lark - so I'm really looking forward to giving some more soon. The next ones I've got booked in are happening at Ely Folk Festival on the 8th and 9th July, so catch us at the Babylon Gallery Arts tent at the festival if you're going along!

Museum of Cambridge Workshop - look at all those concentration faces!

Resolution iii: Go to at least twenty-five new (to me) poetry nights
I've managed to get to fourteen new (to me) poetry nights so far this year, including some fantastic events in places I've never performed before. I've had the opportunity to go to the likes of Leeds, Lincoln and Cardiff, so that's been really lovely to experience! That being said, I'm definitely going to keep up the pace if I want to get to my target!

Performing - in gif form! (Cheers to Fay Roberts for the gif!)

Four: Write a half-hour poetry set/show for performance
I've done absolutely nothing about this one. Nothing. I'm a bit embarrassed about it really... so let's just move on, shall we?

Move along, nothing to see here...

Resolution Cinco: Go to the Edinburgh Fringe!
I know I've talked about it before, but this year I've *finally* put my money where my mouth is and started planning for the Edinburgh Fringe! My AirBnB is booked, my annual leave has been allocated and I've bought a waterproof jacket. I am TOTALLY ready. This year, I am going to get there! I've even got a couple of gigs booked. So organised! I genuinely can't wait! So many exclamation marks!!!  !

Looking good, Edinburgh. Looking good.

Seriously though, it looks like I'm doing ok with my poetry-based resolutions at the moment. Maybe that Josh Judson was right about goal-driven writing? Check out his blog for all the details...

No comments:

Post a Comment