Sunday, 1 January 2017

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Poetry NYE Resolutions

For the last couple of years I’ve been setting myself a few poetry New Year’s Resolutions – because there’s nothing like setting goals and making lists to make a person feel chronically inadequate!

I’m joking. Actually, the reason I set myself a couple of resolutions is so I can forget about them by 15th January, then remember them hurriedly on 31st December and laugh about how many I’ve utterly failed to do.

So let’s see how I got on this year!

I had four new year’s resolutions for 2016:
1. See at least six full-length spoken word shows
2. Do at least ten workshops
3. Go to at least thirty new (to me) poetry nights
4. Go to the Edinburgh Fringe

So how did I get on? Well, in 2016 I saw five spoken word shows: Ben Norris, Mulletproof Poet, Luke Wright, Andy Szpuk and Michelle Mother Hubbard, plus a revue by the Mouthy Poets here in Nottingham. I also saw a bit of theatre for the first time in ages, courtesy of the Pussy Patrons, as well as my first ever dance show, curated by Tight Theatre.

I also managed to facilitate no less than sixteen workshops this year, which was much better than I expected! Twelve of these were as part of the Write Here Sanctuary Refugee project in Nottingham, while the others were at Kimbolton School in Cambridgeshire and Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School in East London, as well as a workshop with primary-school aged children at the Museum of Cambridge, and another with adults as part of the Words for Walls Project with the University of Nottingham. This means that I actually managed to work with a really diverse number of groups this year, including my first session with younger kids, and my first group of participants using English as a second language. Hoorah!

I also performed at thirty-five separate poetry gigs this year. Twenty-five of those thirty-five gigs were completely new to me, and while that’s definitely below my target of thirty, it does mean that I had a whopping 71% new gig rate, which is seven percentage points higher than last year!

Mmm, poetry statistics!

So that’s probably two and a half resolutions completed, which isn’t bad going really. As I’m sure you’re already aware, I didn’t make it to the Edinburgh Fringe again this year, which was a real shame because I really really really wanted to go!

But it definitely gives me something to aim for in 2017, so it can’t be all bad!

I've finally settled on five resolutions for 2016:

1. Read at least ten poetry collections or anthologies
2. Do at least ten more workshops
3. Go to at least twenty-five new (to me) poetry nights
4. Write a half-hour poetry set/show for performance
5. Go to the Edinburgh Fringe!

Wish me luck!

So Kawaii!

No comments:

Post a Comment