Wednesday, 28 December 2016

WEDNESDAY NIGHT NEWS - 2016 Year in Review


Well, that was 2016. And, as is customary on this blog (and because I fancy myself as a bit of a cool Charlie Brooker type) it’s time for my review of this little corner of the internet for 2016:

January // February // March
2016 got off to a pretty good start when I landed a supporting slot at Cabaret of Cunts, a feminist review in Limehouse in London, featuring amazing performances from Tight Theatre and Pussy Patrons. I facilitated a day of creative writing workshops with Y7 pupils at Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School in London, and performed at House of Verse in Leicester and Steel & Lace in Sheffield. I also got published as part of the Write Minds ‘Madder Than We Look’ anthology (which you can still buy here).

Tight Theatre

In February, I wrote sonnets with Russell J Turner, Adam Warne and Andy Bennett, for our fifth sonnet writing challenge, 28 Sonnets Later. This time around we did ekphrastic poems, so I managed to learn a bit about Art History while also writing sonnets. Excellent! I also performed at the Whitworth Gallery in Manchester, and Poetry is Dead Good in Nottingham.

The Women Say... Stuff team

March was another busy month: I gave a workshop with Y13s at Kimbolton School in Cambridgeshire, performed at Too Deep for a Monday and helped to organise the Women Say… Stuff event on International Women’s Day, with all the proceeds of the event going to Nottingham Rape Crisis Centre.

April // May // June
In April, I did NaPoWriMo with some wonderful writers from London and East Anglia, and we each managed to write thirty poems in thirty days. We also announced the winner of the Fenland Poet Laureate Competition, and it was an emotional awards ceremony as we said good bye to Elaine Ewart, who left the team to concentrate on her PhD.

A gaggle of Fenland Poet Laureates!

I was ecstatic to be booked to support Harry Baker at the SOAPBOX Presents gig in Stowmarket in May, and it was wonderful to get out to Derby for my first ever Twisted Tongues show in the same month. I also had the opportunity to record a poem for the Write Lion podcast, which was really exciting! Then, in June, I curated the Spoken Word tent at the Gate to Southwell festival and did some poems at Ouse Muse in Bedford.

With a huge crowd for the first ever Southwell Slam!

July // August // September
I ran a workshop for the Words for Walls project in July, and spent a weekend at Newstead Abbey as part of the Wandering Poets event at the stately home.

The Wandering Poets (staying fairly still for the photo...)

In August I performed at Folk East in Suffolk, and worked with the Museum of Cambridge to create a poetry trail and facilitate some workshops with primary-school aged children (My first ever workshop with this age group!) I also had two poetry job interviews: one for the Cheltenham Literature Festival and another with Writing East Midlands.

Cut up words for the Museum of Cambridge workshops

September was when I performed at Poetical in Nottingham, as well as my first appearance at Green Fest. I also nabbed a featured slot at Verse Matters in Sheffield, and did some poems at the Fourth Wave Feminist Festival in Hackney Downs, where I also heard talks by some really impressive women! (What I was doing at this kind of thing is anybody’s guess!)

Making a 'no seriously guys' face at Green Fest

October // November // December
October was so busy that I’m sort of surprised I managed to do any other work during the month. I performed at: Speech Therapy, Hockley Hustle, The Stanza Newcastle, and Word Wise Derby, and started the weekly poetry workshops with the Write Here Sanctuary Women’s Refugee group, and went out recording poems with DIY Poets for Poetry in the Peaks, and wrote a performed a wedding poem for my friends Catie and Ben at their ceremony in Richmond, and did some stuff at the TEDxUCLWomen event in London.

Behind the scenes filming for Poetry in the Peaks 

Phew!

In November I performed at the Poetry in Aldeburgh Festival, the Line of Light Art Installation launch and the Southwell Folk Society, and in December I headlined the Poetic Snowfalls event in Bury St Edmunds, and did some poems at the Too Deep for a Monday Christmas party. I also took part in Poetercize (the poetry gameshow) at Poetry is Dead Good – which was amazing and ridiculous and jolly good fun!

Line of Light Installation

Blimey! What a busy year! And here’s to an even busier 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment