Tuesday, 13 September 2016

POEM - Skin


The villanelle is one of my favourite poetic forms - I really like the repetition and the constricted rhyme schemes, and I love how deceptively difficult they are to write as well! 

I've been trying to write a decent villanelle for about five years now. I'm still not sure if I've managed it yet, but I'm pretty happy with this one. I've completely re-written it about three times now, and it's probably still not finished, but I wanted to show it to you anyway. Let me know what you think.

Skin

You have no right to tell me what to wear;
and how I dress is no concern of yours
coz I’m in charge of how much skin I bare.

I thrive upon your disapproving stares
and you can't crush me now, so rest assured
you have no right to tell me what to wear.

I'm flattered by how much you seem to care
by pointing out my weaknesses and flaws
but I'm in charge of how much skin I bare.

I know my clothes won't lure some hungry bears –
I'm pretty sure I'm safe to be outdoors.
You have no right to tell me what to wear

A chair that's covered up is still a chair
and un-uphostered flesh still isn't yours.
See, I’m in charge of how much skin I bare

and, if I had to guess, I'd say you're scared
because you can't control me any more.
You have no right to tell me what to wear
coz I’m in charge of how much skin I bare.

Skin

No comments:

Post a Comment