Sunday, 19 June 2016

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Projects, Projects, Projects


So, I think I’ve finally calmed down from all the festival-tinged excitement from last weekend and I’m almost (almost) back to normal.

Festival Poetry Audience!

“Does that mean you’re chilling out and taking a well-earned break, Leanne?”

No. No it does not. But thank you for your concern, imaginary blog-reader!

Nah, I like being busy, and things are *busy* here at Poetry Towers this month, so that’s good! In fact, I’ve got a few projects on the go at the moment that I’d like to tell you about:

1. I’m currently working on a poetry trail project with the Museum of Cambridge, writing a load of poems/riddles about the objects in the Museum’s permanent collection, which will then be hung in the museum during the summer holidays, forming a bit of a poetic treasure hunt for people visiting the collection.

I’ll also be doing a ‘drop-in’ poetry workshop on Wednesday 17th August at the museum, with loads of fun creative exercises for all ages and abilities. If you’re free and in the area, you should definitely come and say hello!

I actually blogged about some of the weird and wonderful stuff that I’ll be writing about here but there are so many brilliant artefacts in the museum, that it’s been really difficult to choose just a few to write about!

For example, I’ll definitely be writing something about this – it's a turtle shell donated by Clare College Cambridge. The shell was painted to commemorate a posh dinner that they had at the college in 1903. And I'm sure you can all guess what happened to the rest of the turtle...

Yep. They ate it.

2. I'm also putting together a poetry workshop in Nottingham for the Words For Walls project, which is an awesome public poetry competition / exhibition, organised by the University of Nottingham.

The project aims to celebrate the Nottingham's written creativity by bringing poems by local people into public spaces across the city.

Anyone with a strong connection to Nottingham can submit a poem, selected chosen pieces will then be displayed at Broadway Cinema, Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, Broadmarsh bus station, in libraries and buses across the city in the Autumn.

My workshop is for young people aged 16 - 21, and will be happening at Broadway on Monday 4th July. The workshop is free to attend, and by the end of the session, you should have some ideas for poems, which you can then submit to the project.

You can read all the details about this project on the website, where you can also find out how to submit your own poems for Words For Walls. Good luck!

Source

3. I’m also working with the folks at the Bonington Gallery to put together some recordings of my poems for the Bonington Atrium Listening Booth.

The Listening Booth is an amazing little gallery within a gallery; an enclosed, one person listening space playing looped ambient soundscapes, audio performance art and creative recordings from across the UK.

They’ve never had poetry in the Listening Booth before, so it’s a great opportunity to get a bit of spoken word into a gallery setting!

I’ve already had a brilliant first meeting with Rob, the excellent sound technician behind the Listening Booth, and I’m really excited to hear how it all turns out! I'll keep you posted!

This is not my ear


Next week:
On Wednesday 22nd June I'll be popping down to Bedfordshire for a featured slot at Ouse Muse, Bedford's premier spoken word night, at the Auction Rooms on Duke Street.

In fact, this gig will be a bit of a reunion one for me because I'll be performing alongside three brilliant Fenland poets, including former Fenland Poet Laureates Jonathan Totman and Poppy Kleiser, and the current Fen Laureate Mary Livingstone.

It's going to be a real Fen Takeover, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Tickets are £5 on the door, and the show starts at 7:45pm. If you're in the area, you should definitely come down!

No comments:

Post a Comment