Sunday, 6 December 2015

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS – Upcoming gigs and projects


When we moved to Nottingham from Cambridge a few months ago, I was really excited but also massively anxious. A new house, new job and a new city all in one go?! Yikes!

And while I *was* worried about whether I’d like my new office job, or if we’d find a nice house to live in, it turns out that my main concerns were poetry-based. (As usual!)

After all, I’d met such an incredible bunch of people in the last five years poeming across East Anglia, and there’s no way I could be that lucky a second time around. Right?

Well, I can tell you that this is one of the only times in my life that I’ve been happy to be proved completely wrong! The poetry scene in Nottingham is so bloody vibrant! And inclusive, and egalitarian, and welcoming! And the scene in next door in Leicester? Excellent. And the scene over the border in Sheffield? Amazing!

I feel really grateful to have landed in such an awesome place!

And I’m really excited because I’ve managed to meet some fantastic people already, and get involved in some really exciting gigs and projects, the first of which is due to start next Wednesday, when I’ll be hosting my first open mic night in the city!

The event is called Crosswords, and it’s a collaborative project with the Malt Cross Pub, a refurbished Victorian music hall and community charity on St James’ Street. They’re always looking for new ideas for creative ways to use the space, so when I suggested a spoken word night, they were more than happy to help out.

The first show is happening in the caves underneath the pub – which is probably the coolest place ever to do poetry! We’ll have a guest set from the fabulous Hibword, as well as loads of open mic slots for poets, writers, and storytellers – and the whole night is totally free! How amazing is that? We’re so lucky that the Malt Cross are giving us the venue for free, and I can’t thank them enough for their generous attitude to spoken word! Arrrrrgh! I’m so excited about this one, you guys!

If you want to come along and strut your poetic stuff, you can sign up to the open mic from 7:30pm, and the show starts at 8pm! It’s going to be gloriously terrifying, and I can’t wait!

As well as doing a bit of compering, I’m also going to be performing a couple of sets at various events over the next few months. I’ll be in Leicester at Heard of Mouth on 17th December, and after Christmas I’ll be doing House of Verse on 16th January (also in Leicester). The, in February, I’ll be doing a featured set at the DIY Poets’ gig at the Maze on 11th and sharing a couple of poems as part of Poetry is Dead Good on 16th. It’s going to be a busy start to 2016!

On top of all this, I’m starting a new project, writing lyrics as part of a collaboration with a musician called Ian Baggott. I have never written a song before in my life, but after Rob Green’s song-writing workshop at Book Off last month, I thought ‘Why Not?’ I’ve also got a couple of top secret poetry schemes up my sleeves, so look out for those in the New Year too! So that's all pretty exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment