Thursday, 2 July 2015

POEM - Tub Thumping

I'm still fully obsessed by the Pop Sonnets Tumblr, which rewrites modern pop songs, transforming them into Shakespearian sonnets.

I wanted to do something similar, but with a different form of poetry, so I figured that villanelles would work pretty well for songs with really repetitive lyrics.

So, here's my attempt at a villanelle, based one of the most well-known - and most repetitive - songs from the nineties. The title very much gives it away. I hope you like it!

Tub Thumping 

You cannot keep me down, try as you might,
I will not live my life so piously.
When I’m knocked down, I rise again to fight.

And I will gladly piss away the night,
Battling against sobriety.
You cannot keep me down, try as you might.

So, if you stay a moment, I’ll recite
The drinks that I have drunk defiantly.
When I’m knocked down, I rise again to fight.

The lager is rebellion and the bite
Of whiskey smashes all propriety!
You cannot keep me down, try as you might.

And though the vodka makes it hard to write
A villanelle of any quality,
When I’m knocked down, I rise again to fight.

And when I’m in the pub (As is my right!)
I can’t stand up – and that’s the irony.
You cannot keep me down, try as you might:
When I’m knocked down, I rise again to fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment