Saturday, 7 March 2015

POEM - Equal

Hey, guess what? I've written a new poem!

Well, maybe 'written' and 'poem' are not quite the right words... Basically I've done a thing, and I wanted to show it to you.

However, in order to experience it fully, you'll need to listen to this song as you read it:



What a weird video, am I right?

Anyway, I decided to rewrite the lyrics to that classic eighties power ballad, in order to reflect an alternative point of view. (Sorry Bonny!)
I hope you like it:

Where have all the good men gone?
They’ve been here all the while.
My standards were impossible –
I need substance over style!
There are no white knights, just normal decent guys.
See, Hercules was never real,
And I’ve opened up my eyes:

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
As a partner in life.
He doesn’t need strength
And he doesn’t need speed
And I don’t care about shape or size.

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
Till the morning light.
He’s got to be kind,
An enquiring mind,
And he'll know I’m a girl, not a prize.

Somewhere after lectures
In my wildest fantasies,
I’m not some damsel in distress
With a man, who’ll set me free.
Both of us will have free choice
Of who will share our world.
And – if I was that way inclined –
My man might be a girl.

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
As a partner in crime.
With mutual respect
I know we’ll connect
And we’ll be both detached and entwined.

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
To defy social mores.
And I won’t idolize him,
Be mean or chastise him;
I’ll love both his strengths and his flaws.

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
Who will like my tattoos.
Someone who let’s me
Be me and just gets me,
And I’ll do the same for him too.

I need an equal, I'm holding out for an equal
As the Gin to my Lime.
And if he’s still single,
And if he likes Pringles,
I’m taking his number tonight.

I need an equal.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly I'm old enough to have not needed the video to remind me of the tune and original lyrics, but I watched it anyway! Don't ever remember seeing it, and yes weird - although I suspect in these days of 50 shades fever she would have stayed with the guys with the whips! Absolutely love your version - will that be a singing performance one day? Thank you for continuing to entertain me. Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa. I absolutely love Bonnie Tyler, but her music videos were always a little bit strange. (Do you remember the children with glowing eyes in the Total Eclipse of the Heart video? So creepy!)Sadly, I am not a singer, so it will be a spoken performance for this one, unless I can persuade someone else to do it for me! Thanks for reading!

      Delete