Saturday, 3 January 2015

Poetry New Year's Resolutions

I know I'm a bit late, but I wanted to do a few poetry-related New Year's resolutions on here, the idea being that I'm more likely to keep to them if I've made them public knowledge. That's the plan anyway. So far, I've come up with five. I wonder if I'll manage to keep them?

New Year's Resolutions:

1. Go to more poetry events
I've made a deal with myself to go to at least one new night a month. I want to go to a few of the regular open mic nights in London but I also want to get out to places like Manchester, Newcastle, York, Bristol, Brighton, Oxford and anywhere else that has excellent poetry nights! If you have any suggestions on this one, please do let me know!

2. Get back into the habit of writing regularly
I really let the poetry writing slide during the last few months of 2014, but I'm determined to get back into the swing of things this year. My goal is to try to write one poem per week, but I'm not going to kick myself (either figuratively or literally) if I don't manage it. As long as I get back into writing regularly again, then I'll be happy.

3. Do more workshops
I already have one workshop planned with a Y13 creative writing class in February and, along with the Fen Speak team, I have submitted a workshop idea to some local libraries, but I'd really like to run more writing workshops in 2015. They're always so much fun to do and it's fantastic to feel like you're sparking other people's creativity, so this is definitely up there on my list of goals.

4. Go see more spoken word/live literature shows
I'm thinking about writing my own show and I've got a few ideas whirling through my head, but I really don't know where to start when it comes to the theatricality of a spoken word show. A lot of performance poets come from theatre and from drama courses but that's just not me, so I feel like I'm miss some vital information about how to make a good show. To remedy this, I've resolved to go see more shows, to get a feel for what's good and what's not, and find out what's possible for me in the future.

5. Go to the Edinburgh Fringe
Can you believe that I've never been to the Edinburgh Fringe? I know! So this year, I'm going to do it. Take a week off work and head up to Edinburgh to see as many spoken word shows as I possibly can. Resolutions four and five are kind of linked, but hopefully that means I'm more likely to do both! Time will tell...  

No comments:

Post a Comment