Saturday, 13 December 2014

NEWS - Catching up on the last couple of weeks


I know I say it every time, but it really *has* been a busy couple of weeks here at Poetry Towers! So here's a little catch up post about our last couple of events, and all the other stuff that's been going on lately:

On Friday 28th November, Elaine Ewart and I sauntered up the A10 to King's Lynn to host the first Fen Speak open mic night in West Norfolk. Billed as Fen Speak on Tour, the event was organised by the local poet Sue Burge, who did a fantastic job with the marketing for the night.

In fact, by the time we were due to begin, the room was full to bursting with over forty people, including over twenty five performers! Not bad for a poetry night!

As well as our excellent open mic-ers, we had a feature set from Poppy Kleiser, the current Fenland Poet Laureate. Elaine and I both got the chance to read some of our own poetry too, and we were really happy to receive such a warm reception from the audience.

We had a fantastic night, and I'm looking forward to doing more Fen Speak on Tour events in 2015. (Watch this space!)


On Saturday 29th November, I travelled to Milton Keynes to take part in the Stony Stratford Christmas Lights Switch On Celebrations!

Photo courtesy: Fay Roberts
I performed alongside fellow Cambridge poets Fay Roberts, Riaz Moola and Emma Ormond, and we had a fine time. I was really impressed by the high standard of poetry and storytelling at the event, and I'd really recommend the Stony Stratford Christmas Lights Switch On Celebrations to anyone passing that way during next year's festive period.

As for me? I'll definitely be checking out Scribal Gathering, Stony's regular open mic night, in the New Year!

As well as all that, I've also been sorting out the edits for a new pamphlet of poetry (due out in January 2015) and chatting with friend and fellow poet Alex Tyler about a potential collaboration for 2015. The project's all very hush hush at the moment, but I'm really excited about it!

Finally, we're still trying to let everyone know about this year's Fenland Poet Laureate Competition! So, if you live in the Fens, and you think you could write a poem about your area, we'd love to hear from you! The deadline for entries is 31st January 2015, and all the details can be found on the Atelier East website.

And the best part? It's free to enter the Fenland Poet Laureate Competition - so get scribbling!

Last year's Fenland Poet Laureate Finalists (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment