Sunday, 14 September 2014

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Art Exhibitions, Funding Workshops and Recorded Poems

After all the excitement of the summer festival season, I was expecting September to be a more sedate affair. But I have incredibly busy this week. Bestival seems like ages ago, even though it's only been ten days since I was there!

Artwork from the Museum of Beyond
So, what have I been up to this week? Well, I finally finished recording the poems I wrote as part of the Museum of Beyond writer's residency back in July. There are eight poems all together, and each one is inspired by Fran Crowe's wonderful artwork.

This was such a cool project to work on, and I'm really pleased with how the collaboration went - but I'd love to be able to film a few of the poems too. Anyway you can read about the project here, and check out all eight of my poems on the Museum of Beyond website.

Then, on Wednesday, I was invited down to the High Tide Theatre offices in London to take part in a special workshop called 'How to Apply for Grants for the Arts'. The workshop was organised by Ideastap and Arts Council England to help emerging performers and theatre-makers to get their heads around the process of applying for Arts Council funding.

Most of the participants were directors and producers working in the theatre, but there were also some playwrights, a musician and a choreographer, so I didn't feel too much like a sore thumb! I sat next to a chap called Mark, an actor with who had just finished a stint on Holby City and was now working on a really interesting immersive theatre project.

In fact, it was amazing to be surrounded by a group of people who are carving successful careers for themselves in the arts, and I was really inspired by all their amazing project ideas! The workshop itself was really informative, and it was great to get the low-down on how the grants application system actually works. I've got a couple of ideas for projects for 2015, so it's really good to know that there is support out there!

Finally this week, I went along to the Greyfriars Art Space in King's Lynn to check out the All The Tea and China exhibition.

Ceramics: Margaret Gardiner

My poem, Tasseomancy, has been included in the showcase, which celebrates tea drinking ceremonies, culture and rituals through a range of 3D sculpture, artwork, and poetry. The exhibition continues until Saturday 20th September, and contains work by several of our very own Fen Speak performers!

And speaking of Fen Speak - it's that time again! On Wednesday 17th September, we'll be back at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum in Wisbech for another poetry and spoken word open mic!

Logo by Lizzy Doe
We'll be hosting another evening of stories and verse, with thought-provoking performances and laugh-out-loud moments from our fantastic regular contributors, as well as the opportunity for newcomers to take to the mic and share their work too!


It's going to be a great show, so please do join us if you can. Doors to the Wisbech and Fenland Museum open at 7:00pm and the show starts at 7:30pm. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment