Thursday, 21 August 2014

POEM - Musical Sonnets


Pop Sonnets is one of my favourite blogs on tumblr at the moment. The idea is to take famous pop songs and TV theme tunes and transmogrifies them into sonnets, written in Shakespearian-style language. My favourite one so far is the theme from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Seriously, you should check it out!

Anyway, the whole thing looked like a fun exercise, so I thought I'd have a go myself. Here’s my first attempt. I've chosen a classic nineties tune, so hopefully you'll recognise it. See if you can guess the song before you reach the concluding couplet, and let me know what you think!

Sonnet-be
If my gentle bosom you require,
You must impress my kin and intimates.
For many gentlemen have been inspir'd
And many have been judged to be unfit.

So, if you seek the wisdom of my skirts
Then you must, with your heart, reciprocate.
I’ll show no haste to tell you bitter words,
Though, if you vex me, I will remonstrate.

Do you wish to learn my heart's desire?
(I'll ask you several times, for emphasis.)
Permit me to reveal what I require,
Indulge me now, and I will tell you this:

I want from you, a Zig, and a Zigah,
And baby you were close, but no cigar.

                                                - Spice Girls 'Wannabe'

5 comments:

  1. Nawww I guessed at "90's classic anthem" then your language threw me off. You crafty devil. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee! There is no other 90s pop anthem worth talking about, is there?

      Delete
  2. thanks for the link - fun stuff. Sorry I haven't commented lately, but I'm enjoying your poems.
    Kind regards
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! I'm really glad that you're enjoying the blog! I've just written another Pop Sonnet, so that may turn on here later this week!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love this, so sweet! xxxx

    ReplyDelete