Monday, 25 August 2014

POEM - another pop sonnet


As I mentioned in my last post, I've spent the last few days turning famous pop songs into sonnets as a homage to my new favourite blog Pop Sonnets.

This time, I've chosen a one of the best songs of the eighties - a tune that was Christmas Number 1 on its original release in 1981, before finally makig it into an episode of Glee in 2011. (What a pedigree!)

I think the sonnet itself turned out pretty well, so see if you can guess the song, and let me know what you think too!

Pop Sonnet #2
We met when you were to a bar employed -
in servitude, you sought your daily wage.
A beauty trapp'd inside a gilded cage;
I chose you, and your confidence was buoyed.

Half a decade have you thus enjoyed
the trappings of my love, yet still you rage!
But will you now dismiss me and assuage
your half-formed doubts, and call this courtship void?

We met when I was to a bar employed -
that much, at least, is grounded in the facts.
I love you, but that love has been destroyed.
Alas, I must take flight and not look back.

And, though you might implore me to review,
I cannot live another day with you.

                                            - Don't You Want Me by The Human League

No comments:

Post a Comment