Monday, 14 July 2014

Wedding Commission


A few months ago, a friend of mine commissioned me to write a poem for her Dad's wedding.

It's a bit of a daunting prospect, writing a poem for newly-weds. But, after a couple of warm-up attempts, I finally wrote a little sonnet called Grow, and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Once the poem was completed, it was transformed into a beautiful papercut by the very talented Catherine Kilbey of JewelOri.

And look at how nice it is! 


JewelOri are a local brand, who make jewellery, ornaments and artwork from cut and folded paper. Their stuff is amazingly delicate and intricate. I particularly like their origami flower earrings! If you want to check out more of their stuff, you can find them on their Folksy page here.

And, if your eyesight isn't quite good enough to read the poem in the picture above, here it is in full:

Grow

There is no love, but that we cultivate,
so plant this seed with me and watch it grow.
I am no gardener, but this I know:
with patience, care and time, we can create

this forest of our love to celebrate
a partnership that we will not outgrow.
I am no gardener, but this I know:
a second chance is always worth the wait.

Our blossoms will bloom brighter every year,
and bear us fragrant fruit so soft and sweet.
And you and I will tend the garden, dear,
while gentle branches shade us from the heat.

There is no love, but that we cultivate.
A second chance is always worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention in this blog. It was a privilege to cut such a beautiful poem x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'd love to work with you in the future, please do let me know if you're interested! :)

      Delete