Sunday, 18 May 2014

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - The London Times

I don't know, you wait for a gig in London, then three come along at once! 

To kick things off in style, I will be guest hosting She Grrrowls: Lost and Found on Monday night, at The Gallery Café in fashionable East London! 


The She Grrrowls nights are run by Camina Masoliver - a brilliant poet and incredibly hard-working events promoter. The shows themselves seek to provide a platform for fantastic female performers, and they're proving to be a massive hit! In fact, I've been meaning to head down and catch She Grrrowls for a while, so I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night's show. It's going to be a lot of fun, but I'm a little nervous, because the line-up is so incredible!

I mean, just check it out for yourself! 

We have comedy from Mia Lane, music by Mama Tokus, and poetry from both Sabrina Mahfouz and Lateisha Davine Lovelace-Hanson! There'll also be six open mic slots up for grabs on the night, and I might even embarrass myself with a couple of poems as well!

It's going to be a fab show, so if you're in the Capital and fancy a great night out, come join us at The Gallery Café, 21 Old Ford Road, E2 9PJ. Doors open at 7:30pm and the fun starts at 7:45pm!


Then, on Wednesday night, I'm heading down to the Roundhouse in Camden to take part in a performance poetry networking and development day, hosted by Deborah Stevenson! 

The event has been organised by the lovely folk at IdeasTap, and will include a performance master class with Deborah and the Mouthy Poets collective, as well as a panel discussion on publishing with loads of poets and industry insiders, and performances from Jacob Sam-La Rose, John Berkavitch, Joelle Taylor and Deborah Stevenson. 

They'll be plenty of tips on performance and advice on how to make a career out of poetry, as well as loads of chances to meet new people and share ideas. 

I've dusted off my business cards, and I'm ready for action! I'll let you know how it goes! 

Finally, I'm really thrilled (and a little bit terrified!) to say that next month, I will be competing at the Hammer and Tongue Poetry Slam Finals at the Royal Albert Hall!

Source


I know!

We'll be performing deep beneath the main building, in the Loading Bay, a fantastic space that's only slightly less nerve-racking than playing the enormous main hall! 

I'll be competing alongside the winners and runners-up from the regional finals of the Hammer and Tongue Slams in Cambridge, Oxford, Camden, Hackney, Bristol and Brighton, and we'll all be slogging it out to win the coveted title of UK Hammer and Tongue Slam Champion 2014! Plus, there'll be a featured set from Kate Tempest, and Group Slam, in which the six 'cities' battle it out to be crowned Group Slam Winners for 2014. 

It's going to be a really tough competition - and I must admit that I am more than a little bit freaked out by the prestigious surroundings - but I'm excited too! 

But mostly just nervous!

The Hammer and Tongue Slam Finals are on 21st June 2014, from 1:15pm till 10:30pm, at the Royal Albert Hall. You can get tickets here. Come down and support live poetry, if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment