Monday, 7 April 2014

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - NaPoWriMo Week One


It’s been another busy week of poetry this week! In fact, I’m so late that this ‘Sunday Night News’ has actually turned up on Monday afternoon. Ooops!

Anyway, this week I started my first NaPoWriMo challenge!

The idea of National Poetry Writing Month is to write thirty poems over thirty days in April, and so far I’ve managed to keep up fairly well! I’m participating in this year’s challenge as part of a loose collective of writers from Cambridge, and thereabouts:  Fay Roberts, Elaine Ewart, Daisy T-G, Nikki Marrone, Emma Ormond and Russell J Turner.

We’re just over a week into the challenge and I must admit, I’m really enjoying having an excuse to write something every day! Motivation is a funny thing, and I know I’m much more likely to stick to something if I have the encouragement of other people, so maybe I could convince my fellow poets to do this challenge all year round!

We could call it NaPoWriYo!

Nah, it just doesn't sound as catchy! Anyway, you can check out my first seven poems using the links below, or browse the whole website to see the work of all six poets.

Day 1 - Katzenklavier
Day 2 - Flutter
Day 3 - St Vitus
Day 4 - I Need You
Day 6 - Untitled

Also this week, the new Fenland Poet Laureate - Poppy Kleiser - made her radio debut when she was interviewed by Patrick Widdess on his poetry and music show on Cambridge 105FM.

In the interview, Poppy speaks passionately about her own route into poetry, her plans for the coming year, and her belief that poetry should be accessible to everyone. She also performs a few of her own poems in the studio, and her work really does speak for itself!

You can still listen to the show on the Headstand mixcloud page, and you can follow Poppy's progress as during the year on her blog. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment