Saturday, 8 March 2014

My Daughter - a poem for International Women's Day

Today is International Women's Day, and theme for this year's event is 'Inspiring Change'. I don't know if you've noticed, but I happen to be a woman, so I thought I'd better write a poem about it. This one's called My Daughter. I hope you like it.

My Daughter

One day my daughter came to me
And looked into my eyes.
She asked me what she might become
And this was my reply:

You can be an astronaut,
A scientist. A poet.
You’re only limit is the stars
And you’ll excel; I know it.

You can be journalist,
A dancer or a doctor.
An author or astronomer.
There’s nothing that can stop you!

A lawyer or a labourer,
A solider or a sailor.
Yes, you can be a footballer,
A teacher or a tailor.

You can be a youth worker,
A vet or a virologist.
A mechanic or a midwife,
A guard or gynecologist.

And you can have six children
Or choose not to have any.
You can spend all of your cash,
Or donate every penny.

You can wear just what you like
Without the threat of violence.
There’ll be no shame or guilt or greed
Or need for stoic silence.

And little girls around the world
Will have the right to learn
And being fair or beautiful
Will not be your concern.

Coz when you’re grown, we’ll finally know
Equality’s importance
And you can be most anything
(But not a traffic warden).

You will not be a victim
You will not be misused
You will control your own prospects
And love whomever you choose.

My daughter, then, looked up at me,
With dark eyes just like mirrors,
Cleared her throat and said to me:
“Can I be a caterpillar?”

2 comments:

  1. A.....n....d ......down to earth with a bump! truly lovely poem, with all it expresses,and a spot on denouement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynne. I'm really thrilled that you like it! :)

      Delete