Sunday, 29 December 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - A Year in Review

Well, this is the last news post of 2013. It's been a ridiculously busy year for me, but thoroughly enjoyable too!

Whether I was working alongside incredible creative talent at the Norwich Writers' Centre Live Literature Residency, writing oodles of sonnets for the 28 Sonnets Later Project, or working on commissions with the Fenland Poet Laureate programme, it was such a pleasure to be collaborating with so many inspiring poets, writers and promoters.

This year I met some of my literary heroes, including the likes of Benjamin Zephaniah, Ian McMillan, and Neil Gaiman, and I performed alongside one of my all time favourite poets, Mr John Hegley.

I also got the chance to meet local poets and emerging writers from right across the Fens, through poetry workshops, talks and events. I performed at venues across the East of England, and even took an overnight jaunt up to Yorkshire, to tell some poems at Away with Words in the lovely city of Hull.

My work was published in fifteen journals - printed and online - and one of my poems even made it to Israel, as part of the Reading Rooms exhibition at the Alfred Gallery in Tel Aviv. One of my notebooks also found its way into the Literary Manuscripts: Wisbech Writers exhibition at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum, sitting in a glass cabinet alongside notes written by John Keats, Mary Shelley, William Wordswoth, Charles Dickens, Jonathan Swift, and Samuel Taylor Coldridge.

That was crazy!

In the summer, I performed at some fantastic festivals, including the Strawberry Fair in Cambridge, Folk East in Lowestoft, and the Hythe Festival in Colchester. I was lucky enough to be invited to be part of the group slam team at the Hammer and Tongue Grand Finals, and my poem Carnival Cargo appeared as part of the display at the Rose Fair in Wisbech.

I did a small set as part of the fantastic line-up at the Peterborough Arts Fest, and helped raise money for some fantastic causes through performances at Oxjam and Women's Work: A Showcase of Female Performers.

Then there was the Aldeburgh poetry festival (Ah-maz-zing!) and the launch of Glass Cases and Curios, our anthology of poetry and artwork inspired by museums in the East of England.


But for me, one of the most enjoyable things about 2013 was starting up Fen Speak. It's been really incredible to see just how many people are interested in a regular poetry open mic night in the Fens, and I really hope we can build on that interest in 2014, and maybe even expand!


So there you are. That was 2013. It only remains for me to wish you a peaceful, prosperous and poetical 2014. Catch you in the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely joyous post! SO proud of you matey xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you sugar! I've been keeping up to date with your adventures too - you're an impressive lady! -x-

      Delete