Sunday, 1 December 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Workshops, Open Mics, and the Launch of Glass Cases and Curios

This week I've been putting together the final preparations for our Glass Cases and Curios booklet launch event, writing and editing a poem for the Whittlesey Museum, and sending out fliers for the Fenland Poet Laureate Competition. I've also been preparing for my very first poetry workshop in a secondary school! 

I'm going to be working with pupils from Year 8 and Year 9 at the Thomas Clarkson Academy in Wisbech, and I'm really excited about it. I've got some great writing games and exercises planned, and I'm looking forward to seeing what fantastic poetry the group can produce during the session. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't the tiniest bit nervous though! Wish me luck!

Then on Thursday of this week, we'll be launching Glass Cases and Curios, a new collection of poetry and art inspired by museums! 

The booklet is the first that I have co-edited, and I'm incredibly grateful to freelance creative consultant Karen Harvey, for all her help, advice, and support on the project.


Karen and I first had the idea for Glass Cases and Curios way back in April, and it's really exciting that we're finally ready to launch the collection! The booklets themselves are all printed and ready to go, and they look absolutely fantastic! We're really thankful to all the talented artists and writers who contributed to this publication, and the launch promises to be a great event, filled with poetry, art, dinosaur bones, glass cases and curios! What more could you want from a night out?

The booklet includes great poetry from Andy Bennett, Miriam Brown, Cardinal Cox, Deb Curtis, Rani Drew, Elaine Ewart, Caroline Gill, Emily Hasler, Peter Irving, Teresa Mclean, Afrodita Nikolova, Roy South, John Thake, and JS Watts. It also includes some beautiful artwork from Max Bowman, Cyprian Garlikowski, Karen Harvey, Mandy Knapp, David Lewis, Adam Sheffield and Taymaz Valley. 

We'll be launching the Glass Cases and Curios booklet in the beautiful surroundings of the Sedgwick Museum of Earth Sciences on Thursday 5th December. Doors open at 6:00pm with selected poetry readings at 6:30pm. Then, from 7:00pm onwards, you'll have the opportunity to chat to the contributors of the collection, and explore the Sedgwick Museum for yourself. 

Copies of the booklet will also be available to purchase at the special price of £4.00 each. 

This event is free, but places are limited. To book your tickets, please contact Karen Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment