Sunday, 3 November 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Women's Work and the Aldeburgh Poetry Festival

This week has I've been finalising the details for Glass Cases and Curios, the anthology of poetry and artwork that myself and Karen Harvey have been working for the past six months.

It's been a log old slog, and the project has changed and evolved so much since our initial plan. But the collection now boasts artwork and writing by twenty two fantastic creative people, and I'm really excited about it!

On Friday afternoon we sent the final copy off to the printers, and it's brilliant to think that by the end of next week, we'll have one hundred shiny copies ready for the launch night on 5th December! I really can't wait for us to get out and show everyone the finished product! Plus, the cover illustration - by talented young local artist Max Bowman - is just superb.


Now Karen and I are working really hard to get everything ready in time for the launch night at the Sedgwick Museum, so watch this space for more details!

Also this week I was lucky enough to be involved in Women's Work, a fantastic benefit gig hosted by multi-talented musician Alice Nicholls, in aid of the Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre (CRCC).

It was such a fun night! We had a room full of wonderful, enthusiastic audience members, and - despite the crazy trumpets from the band upstairs and few minor technical hitches with the microphones - the whole evening went off without a hitch!

It was really great to see the crowd enjoying a show full of top-quality female performers, and - even more wonderfully - we raised £375 for the CRCC!

Fay Roberts kicked off the proceedings with some beautiful multilingual poetry, and a spectacular range of music was provided by Netta Chachamu, Catherine Adams, and singer/songwriter Mouth. Comedian and headliner Kate Smurthwaite had the crowd in stitches with her laugh-a-minute narrative style and Rachel Childs got the biggest cheer of the evening with her steel pan demonstration!

I'm very much looking forward to next year's show!
Next weekend, I'll be helping out at the Aldeburgh Poetry Festival!
In case you've not heard of it, the Aldeburgh Poetry Festival the an annual festival, organised and run by the Poetry Society, and 2013 marks its twenty fifth year. Th festival has played host to some of the giants of the poetry world, and I'm disgustingly excited to be getting involved this year!

Source
I'll be taking on the role of steward for the duration of the festival, helping out with the backstage organisation and generally making myself useful. I don't know what my schedule is yet, but if you take a quick look at the programme, you'll understand me when I say that I'll be delighted to be involved with any of the shows being staged!

I'm particularly looking forward to the Get on the Soapbox Open Mic event on the Saturday 9th November, where I'll be performing as a featured act, alongside the very wonderful Rowan James!

It's going to be so much fun, but I must confess, I'm more than a little bit nervous! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment