Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Lobster


I've written a poem! 

I know, I know, it's been a while. I haven't uploaded any poems here for absolutely ages! I need to get back into the habit of doing it really - even if my only audience is my Dad. (Hi Dad!) 

Anyway, I'm performing in Cambridge on Friday night, and I'm a bit worried that the whole of Cambridge is sick of hearing my usual set list! With that in mind, I wanted to have some new material for the occasion. This one turned out to be a lovely poem. It is dedicated to my lobster. 


Lobster
This man treats monogamy like a palace, not a prison
This man doesn't run from every small romantic schism
This man keeps you grounded when the storms inside are raging
This man does the washing up (with only light persuasion)
This man shares his secrets, his worries and his thoughts
This man builds your self-esteem (and first-class pillow forts)
This man treats all those he meets with patience and with kindness
This man held your hair back when you had that nasty virus
This man likes discussions but, if wrong, backs down with grace
This man points (discreetly) when you've something on your face
This man lets you be yourself and doesn’t judge you for it
This man liked your article the first time that he saw it
This man views all of your faults with puzzling affection
This man never mentions your My Little Pony collection
This man keeps your hopes alive for all humanity
This man makes a decent cup of milky builders' tea
This man is your lobster* (if that doesn't sound too twisted)
This man is your soul mate, if such a thing existed.

Source

*This poem comes from the idea that lobsters mate for life. Sadly, this turns out not to be true at all. So, in the interest of biological correctness, please feel free to substitute in any of the following animals: Albatross, Pigeon, Swan, Gibbon, Vulture, or Beaver. Personally, I'm quite fond of the Gibbon.

1 comment:

  1. not just your Dad reading! - I have you on my blog list now so will see when you have a new post up. As you say it is a lovely poem, I'm sure it will go down well.
    Sadly I will not be able to make it to Cambridge for the museum event - I'm currently living in Germany - well at least I think I am, there's a lot of mist and fog and woodsmoke around today! But Cambs is still home, so maybe I'll find a future event when I'm visiting sometime. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete