Sunday, 1 September 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Ink, Sweat, and Bedford Kumquats


Last week I was a bit bummed out because of a rejection letter. This week, the poetry fates have been smiling down on me like a gaggle of slightly gormless Cheshire Cats, and three of my poems have been accept for publication.  

The first acceptance email came from the lovely Helen Ivory at Ink, Sweat and Tears. My apocalyptic end-of-relationship poem, Miss Atomic Bomb, will be published on the site at some stage during the autumn.

I'm really excited about this because

A) Ink, Sweat and Tears is a fantastic online publication, showcasing poetry from some of the very best contemporary poets in the UK and

B) Helen Ivory is an amazing poet, whose opinion I hugely respect.

So to be accepted for publication on the site is an incredibly big deal!

Then I received an email from Bedford bard Ian McEwen. Ian is organising a poetry trail in Bedford, in the lead up to National Poetry day on Thursday 3rd October 2013, and is looking for original poems to display in shop windows in Bedford Town Centre. I submitted my charity shop poem, Bargain Hunt, and Ian was keen to use it as part of the poetry trail!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the trail up and running next month. It's a fantastic way to make poetry more accessible, and give people a chance to engage with poems in an everyday environment. I'll be taking a walk on the poetry trial as soon as I can - and hopefully taking lots of pictures for the blog too!

Finally, I got an email from Flo at Kumquat Poetry, to confirm that my poem, Astronauts, was going to be part of the Kumquat Birthday Book! Kumquat Poetry was set up just over a year ago, to celebrate innovative and exciting new writing. To mark their first anniversary, the team are putting together a book featuring all their favourite pieces from the previous year, along with some brand spanking new material. 

The Kumquat Birthday Book will be online in the autumn, and there's even talk of a limited print run too! I'll definitely update you with more details, as soon as I have them, so watch this space!

Next Week:
Next week, I'm going to be judging my first poetry competition! Throughout the month of August, we asked creative people to send us their art, poetry and prose on the theme of 'museums in the East of England'. We've had a fantastic response, and I can wait to read through all the entries and make my selections! I only wish we could publish every single one!

Then, on Saturday and Sunday, the 7th and 8th September, I'll be performing in the Talkative Live Literature Tent as part of the ARTS Fest! in Peterborough.


It's going to be a great weekend, with performances from a really talented bunch of poets, actors and spoken word artists, so if you're in the area, pop in and have a look. The whole afternoon is free, so there's really no excuse! See you there!


Artwork courtesy of .ink-sweat-and-tears.com kumquatpoetry.tumblr.com and vivacity-peterborough.com

No comments:

Post a Comment