Sunday, 18 August 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Talking Poetry and Folk East 2013

Hello there! Hope you've all had a lovely week. I've had another busy one, and there's plenty more to come in the next seven days! Here's a quick round up:

Last Monday, I spent the afternoon with Sue Dougan on her BBC Cambridgeshire radio show.

The topic of conversation for the afternoon was 'old people having sex'. Turns out that Virginia Ironside had said something controversial on the subject that day, in order to promote her new show in Edinburgh.

So that was interesting...

Luckily, we also got a change to talk to my fellow guest Brian Westcott, a local Neuro Linguistic Programming Expert, about his NLP workshops in Cambridgeshire, and I got a chance to plug the creative museums competition too!

Being on the radio was a bit nerve-racking, but in the end I had a lot of fun! You can still catch the episode on the bbc iplayer if you're quick. (It'll be taken down at 12 noon on Monday 19th August!)


Then, on Friday afternoon, I stopped by the MacMillan Centre at the North Cambs Hospital in Wisbech, to speak to the patients and staff about the Fenland Poet Laureateship. We chatted about the importance of poetry in modern day life, and how inspiring the Fens are, both as a landscape and in terms of their culture and history. I also gave the group a taste of my own poetry, which seemed to go down well. And I got booked by one of the volunteer staff members to do another talk for her ladies group later in the year!

On Friday evening, I went along to the annual Summer Exhibition at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.

The event has been run by Karen Harvey at Atelier East for the past eight years, and is always a fantastic success, showcasing the very best visual art that the Cambridgeshire area has to offer. 

This year, Atelier East has been taken over by the good folks at ADeC, and 2013 marks Karen's last year organising the event.

The gala opening was wonderful, with plenty of brilliant art to enjoy, as well as a very tasty buffet!


I really do recommend that you go down and catch the exhibition if you can. It's on from now until 2nd October, at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum, Museum Square, Wisbech.

Next week:
On Saturday 24th August, I'll be putting on my wellies and heading down to Glemham Hall in Suffolk for the annual Folk East Festival

This is my second time at the festival, and I'll be performing alongside some incredible poets, including Tim Clare and Yanny Mac, so it's going to be very exciting indeed! We're on from 7pm in the Get on the Soapbox tent, and tickets for the festival are still available, so if you've got nothing planned for the bank holiday weekend, why not check it out? See you there! 

Summer Exhibition Photograph Courtesy of Karen Harvey


No comments:

Post a Comment