Sunday, 11 August 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Radio Gaga


Just a quick one from me this week as I'm a bit pushed for time:

On Monday, I'm going on the radio! I'll be joining local DJ Sue Dougan for a good old chinwag on her afternoon show on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, alongside Neuro Linguistic Programming expert Brian Westcott. We'll be setting the world to rights, chatting about current affairs, and I'll even try to sneak in a bit of poetry too, on the sly!

Smiley Sue Dougan
Sue is so friendly and welcoming, so I know it's going to be a fun show. Still, I can't help but feel a little bit nervous. After all, I do have a history of saying some pretty bizarre things when confronted by a microphone! (Check out my poetry gigs if you don't believe me!)

Anyway, if you want to find out whether I manage to remain coherent for a whole hour, you can check out the programme from 2pm on Monday 12th August on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, or catch it afterwards on the iplayer.

Later on this week, I'll be giving my second poetry talk as part of my work as Fenland Poet Laureate. This time, I'll be speaking to the patients at the MacMillan Centre at the North Cambs Hospital in Wisbech. I'm hoping to chat to them about why history is important in the modern world, as well as giving them a taste of my poetry, and chatting with them about what poetry means to them. If all else fails, I have a few games planned, including a dirty limerick competition! Because, let's face it, who doesn't enjoy making up dirty limericks?!

Me, Elaine Ewart & Karen Harvey
Finally, my good friend and arty colleague, Karen Harvey, has just written an article chronicling the Fenland Poet Laureate Awards: the story so far. In 2012, Karen conceived, created, organised and promoted the Fenland Poet Laureate Awards, and without her hard work and dedication, poets like me would not have nearly as many opportunities in Fenland and in Cambridgeshire.

Put it this way: if I were a superhero, Karen would be my radioactive spider!

The article is here, and it's definitely worth a read.

Have a great week! See you all next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment