Sunday, 16 June 2013

SUNDAY NIGHT NEWS - Pint of Poetry and Words for Wide Skies

So, what's been happening this week?

Last Wednesday, I ventured out of the Fens to check out Pint of Poetry and a Dash of Drama, the regular performance open mic night hosted by Mark Grist and Summer Mooed in Peterborough. It runs on the second Wednesday of each month, clashing with the Cambridge Hammer and Tongue Poetry Slam, and I guess that's one of the reasons why I've never been before. (I'm also lazy and it's over an hour away.)

This month though, I fancied a change, so I hopped in my reasonably-price automobile and motored on down the A142 in search of adventure. I'm really glad I made the effort, because it was a lot of fun. I got a chance to hang out with some great poets and listen to some truly brilliant performances. The sign-up sheet was really full, and the range of styles and tones was incredibly diverse.

Just what you want from an open mic night!

To top it all off, Pint of Poetry is held in a bar on a boat! I mean, can you even imagine? I felt like a lyrical pirate for the whole evening! It was pretty magical.

In other news: one of my poems, Perspective, has just been published in a nature poetry anthology, Words for Wide Skies. The book is being sold to raised funds for the conservation of the Wetlands at Welney, and I'm performing at the launch evening, Pimms and Poetry, on Friday 21st June. I'm really looking forward to it, mainly because it'll be a chance for me to perform some of my 'serious' poems. They don't often get performed, so it'll be nice for them to have an outing for a change.


You can find all the information on the Words for Wide Skies anthology and the Pimms and Poetry event on Elaine Ewart's blog.

I've also got a couple of ongoing projects, which are keeping me nice and busy: I'm writing a poem for the Wisbech Rose Fair, and another for display in the Chatteris town museum. The poem I wrote for the Fenland Poet Laureate competition, Six Miles, is going to be on display in the Wisbech and Fenland Museum alongside a collection of ice skating artifacts, and I'm doing gigs in Ipswich, Woodbridge, and Wisbech too. It's pretty hectic, but in a good way!

Now, if only I could get rid of this hay fever...

No comments:

Post a Comment