Saturday, 25 May 2013

NEWS - Exhibitions and Festivals

My Goodness! I have been poeting all over the place today!

This morning, I motored on up to Wisbech, to take in a new exhibition.

As part of the Wisbech Arts Festival, the Wisbech and Fenland Museum have curated a wonderful display called Literary Manuscripts: Wisbech Writers. The exhibition is housed in the museum's impressive library room, and includes original letters, notes, poems, and prose from many of Britain's best-loved writers.

There are notes written by John Keats, Mary Shelley, and William Wordswoth, as well as letters from Charles Dickens, Jonathan Swift, and Samuel Taylor Coldridge.

And, nestled between original manuscripts written by John Clare, William Ellis, and Matthew Gregory Lewis, is the notebook in which I write all my own poetry.

I just have to say how grateful I am to David Wright and all at the museum for including my notebook in this exhibition. It was so lovely of them to ask me to contribute, and have my work displayed alongside that of such esteemed and incredible writers. Being in the same exhibition as the like of Keats and Coldridge is pretty ridiculous, but utterly wonderful too.


This afternoon, I spent some time in the lovely sunny city of Colchester, taking part in the Town to Port Festival of King's Quay, Hythe.

The weather was perfect, and it was great to see so many people enjoying the spoken word performances.

Unfortunately, I was only able to stay for a short while, but the standard of performance was incredibly high, and I got to see some great stuff: wonderful poetry from Aryn Clark and Baden Prince as well as some beautiful music from Daniel Merrill and his violin.


I did a twenty minute set, and I think it went down well. I was sandwiched in between Aryn and Baden, two technically adept and contextually quite serious poets, but I think the contrast was an interesting one. Plus their amazing spoken word skills shore so brightly that I was able to bask in the reflected glow!


I really need to say a massive thanks to Tess Gardener, for booking me for this event, and for organising the entire programme of poetry and comedy on the day.

Incidentally, if you're ever in Colchester, you should definitely check out Some Kind of Poetry Thing (SKOPT), the poetry collective of which Tess is a member. They're a bunch of really talented and accomplished poets, with such a refreshing enthusiasm for spoken word, and they're a real pleasure to work with, too! I hope our paths cross again soon.

For more info on SKOPT, check out their website or their youtube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment