Friday, 5 April 2013

NEWS - The Cancelled Zine Fair & The Live Lit Scratch

It feels like it's been a long time since I posted some news on the blog. There's a good reason for this: I've been so incredibly busy! Most of my time this month has been spent plotting and scheming with Atelier East, the arts organisation that supported the Fenland Poet Laureate award. We've got some fantastic ideas for events and projects for the Fenland area, so keep your eyes peeled for further info - coming soon!

I've also been frantically drafting and re-drafting some stuff for a Live Literature Scratch Night later this month, at which I'm performing alongside fantastic Norwich-based poets Andy Bennett and Russell J Turner.

The Scratch will be a chance for the three of us to showcase the work we began as part of the Writers Centre Norwich Writers' Retreat, and we'll each be performing a twenty minute 'work in progress' version of our show ideas in front of invited friends and poetry bigwigs and honchos.

Andy's show is about the history of Norwich Castle - from the Norman Conquest up to the present day - told in rhyme. I saw a ten minute snippet of it at a show last month, and it is amazing! I'm really excited to see how the whole thing has progressed since then. Russell's show is about his battle with alcoholism, and his poem, 'Build me a Ship of Bottles' is one of my favourites of the year, so I'm really looking forward to seeing more of his work!

And my piece? Well, I'm going to be looking at Music. How it makes us feel, why we identify with different musical subcultures, and what our tribe says about us. I also wanted to talk about whether, in having every single song available at the click of a button, the 'shuffle generation' may just have lost something important and intangible.

I realise that makes it sound a little bit like a sociology thesis, but I promise there will be limericks! And poetry from my time as a teenage Goth! So there might just be a few laughs, in amongst all the soul searching and seriousness.

I'm actually really nervous about the performance, because I've had so little time to work on my stuff. I really want to make the most of this opportunity though, so I'm locking myself away this weekend in order to Get Some Shit Done.

Wish me luck!


In other news, I'm sorry to say that I won't be hitting the DIY Cultures Zine Fair and Exhibition in London's fashionable Shoreditch on Sunday 7th April. It's a shame, but the lady to whom I was limpeting isn't able to make the date after all. No worries though. I'll take my poems to the big city one of these days. One of these days, London, one of these days!

Finally, next week I'm hoping to get down to Pint of Poetry (and a Dash of Drama), the poetry open mic night in Peterborough, run by poet Mark Grist and Dramatist Summer Moeed. The fun starts at 8pm on Wednesday 10th April, in Charter's bar. See you there!

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first
    comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    flights to Umrah
    cheap flight to jeddah
    flights to jeddah
    umrah jeddah flights
    umrah flights from London
    cheap flights to umrah

    ReplyDelete