Saturday, 22 December 2012

NEWS - A Year in Review

I know it's a horrible cliché to say it, but it really does feel like 2012 has gone far too quickly!

I hate to get all misty-eyed, but it really has been such an amazing year for me! I've been lucky enough to have so many fantastic opportunities and I'm always completely flabbergasted by the amount of love the spoken word community has to offer. So I'd like to take a minute (just sit right there) to thank everyone who invited me to perform at their shows, or accepted my poems for publication, or bought a copy of my pamphlet, or came along to see me tell some poems. It's all just been so incredible - so thank you!

If I had to sum it up in one word, I'd say that 2012 was a year of 'firsts':

I took part in my first Poetry Slam, as part of the National Poetry Rivals Competition and won second prize; the first time I've ever won money for my poetry (and hopefully not the last). I was runner-up in the first ever Fenland Poet Laureate Competition and I did my first ever paid gig as part of the Verbal Remedies poetry events in Peterborough.

I played my first gigs on the festival circuit, doing performances at Natural Rhythms, and Folk East, as well as taking part in the  Strawberry Fair Under 25s Slam. I even got my first heckle at the Natural Rhythms event - which is a pretty big deal!

I did my first performance as emcee, as part of the September Shindig Multimedia Show, introducing the bands and artists and (hopefully) entertaining the crowd with my poems in between sets. That gig led on to another show, supporting Jacqui & Geoff and their Band a the Cornerhouse in Cambridge.

I also did my first radio interview with the lovely Mr Patrick Widdess, and performed in front of one hundred and twenty people as a support act for Miriam Margolyes as part of the celebration of the works of Charles Dickens. 

Finally, I made my first poetry video with Blazej Mikula, about Zombies, and did a three minute set at the Camden Round House in that London, in front of proper poets! As well as all that, I also released my first poetry pamphlet through dead beat press. 'Inconceivable: Poems by Leanne Moden' is available now to buy for £4 plus p&p!

Phew! I think that's everything for this year.

I've been offered some fantastic gigs in 2013, so watch this space for details of New Years fun and frolics. Merry Christmas!

 ***

Incidentally, if you live in the Fenland area, the next call for submissions for Fenland Poet Laureate 2013 has just launched. Reigning champion, Elaine Ewart will be taking her rightful place on the judging panel and one lucky Fenland Poet will be crowned Laureate, with the chance to represent the Fens and literature throughout the year. Application forms can be found on the Atelier East Website. So what are you waiting for?




1 comment:

  1. Wishing you well with your performance poetry 2013!

    ReplyDelete