Saturday, 11 August 2012

NEWS - Folk East Festival and learning my poems

On 25th August I'll be performing at Folk East, an intimate, three day folk and arts festival at Somerleyton Hall near Lowesoft in Suffolk.

The festival focuses on a mix of traditional, contemporary and world folk music, as well as performance and street arts and family-friendly workshops. Folk East is an eclectic event, renowned for showcasing local talent alongside established artists and musicians on the brink on success.

I'm really excited to be involved in the festival, working with Get on the Soapbox as part of their very first festival stage! I'll be performing on Saturday 25th August, on stage after 7pm, and sharing the lime light with some really talented people from around East Anglia.

Get on the Soapbox is such an excellent organisation as it allows local artists a platform at gigs, shows and festivals in East Anglia. It gives them that much-needed exposure and lets them hone their performance skills, while giving audiences the chance to see great live acts at grass-roots level. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the eloquent grumblings of Norwich-based poet and comedian Andy Bennett, and watching Peterborough Poet Kelly Mills always makes me deliriously happy.

But the best part about these events for me, is watching other performers and finding amazing new poets to gush about on my blog!

Also, check out the picture. My name is on the poster!



In other news, I've been thinking about learning my poems off by heart. Or some of them anyway. I know, I know! A poet should know their own poems, and I know that I wrote them, but they just don't seem to want to go back into my head once they've come out!

Anyway, since I have not one but two poetry slam competitions coming up in the next month, I thought I'd better try and make an effort.

I've been recording my poems and playing them back, listening to them when I walk to work. It's weird and a bit awkward hearing my own words spoken back to me - especially if someone asks me what I'm listening to! But I think it's working and I've managed to learn two fairly well so far. I've also learnt that my voice sounds terrible on recordings!

Here's a video of me attempting to recite a poem I wrote called Liaison. The first two stanzas are deliberately 'romantic', and the pay-off is in the final couplet, so bear with it!

I hope you like it! And apologies for the terrible quality of my camera phone!

video






2 comments:

  1. Oh! Your poems are apparently even more wonderful when you're reading them :) It really brings out the quiet quirkiness in this one. Droll isn't a word that's really used anymore, but I think it should be in relation to that reading :) Drollness, drollity? I don't even know how to fit it into a sentence properly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, that's very sweet of you to say! I'd say definitely come down and see a gig, but I'm fairly sure you live in New Zealand, so London might be a bit pricey for you to get to! I hope everything's going well with you and yours. -x-

      Delete