Saturday, 28 July 2012

NEWS - Roundhouse Poetry Slam and Publications

This week a lot has been happening on the poetry front - which is great news, as other aspects of my life have not been running so smoothly...

First up, it's the amazing news that my application for this year's Roundhouse Poetry Slam has been accepted! I can't tell you how excited I am! I almost can't believe it! Exclamation marks!!!

It's such a big deal to get into the competition, because it's a national event and it will be my first big performance in that London. Previous entrants have gone on to do great things on the poetry circuit, so it's a great chance to get noticed and put myself out there. Plus, this year the slam is being judged by some amazing spoken word performers: Polarbear, David J, Kat Francois, Inua Ellams and Daniel Cockril. Just being able to share a platform with those guys is going to be ridiculous!

The first stage of the competition has been split into two heats - one on 15th August and one on 22nd August. I'm taking part in the second heat and I couldn't be more nervous! From what I can tell, it's a knock out type situation: all the poets will perform one three minute piece, then the best ones will go through and perform a second piece on the same night. The best slammers from each heat will then battle it out at the final on 29th August.

The winner gets £500 (the Colin and Helen David Prize) and the title of 2012 Roundhouse Slam Champion. It's a pretty sweet prize, but I know that competition will be really fierce, so I've been busy in the last few weeks, trying to put some excellent rhymes together. Watch this space.

If you're in the Camden area in North London on Wednesday 22nd August, why not come down to the Roundhouse and say hi? It'd be great to see some friendly faces in the crowd, and tickets are only £4, which is pretty reasonable considering you could be watching a host of future spoken word superstars!

 I also got a letter in the post today from the team at Poetry Rivals, letting me know that my poem, Liaison, was accepted for publication! It's being placed into their 2012 anthology, which will be available to buy in the Autumn.

It's always really nice to have your stuff in print  - but the best part is that all the poems in the anthology are now under consideration for the Poetry Rivals Poetry Slam 2012. The judges deliberate over the next few months, and select the fifty best poems from the anthology. The writers are then invited to perform at a special prize-giving event, with a chance to win £1,000 or a publishing contract with Bonacia ltd, the organisers of the competition.

I placed second in the Poetry Rivals Poetry Slam in 2011, and it'd be really cool to get through to the final again this year. The fifty finalists are announced in a few months time, so I'll keep you posted!

The last thing I must tell you is that I've started a community blog on my local news website Cambs24. The blog is called Literary Ely, and promotes spoken word, poetry and prose events and gigs in the East Cambridgeshire area.

So far, I've been lucky enough to be invited to review some great local events, as well as interview a really talented bunch of Cambridgeshire-based writers and performers. I'm hoping that the blog can grow and become a place for news and reviews on the Cambridgeshire arts scene, but we'll see. For now, I'm really enjoying writing about what I love and meeting really cool people.

You can find some of my more recent articles on the links below. -x-
Other Voices Review
Ian McEwen Review
Elaine Ewart Interview

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your blog comment, I've just replied on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete